Tuesday, August 14, 2007

A strange education by The Cinematic

Remember when the Smashing Pumpkins used to have a crunchy guitar sound? It must have been around Gish and Siamese Dream but before Mellon Collie.

The Cinematics have captured that crunch sound on their album A Strange Education.

I ended up digging A Strange education a lot more than I expected to. The album had the crunchy guitar sound of the Pumpkins, the heaviness of Interpol, and the lyrical earnestness of Snow Patrol.

I know that The Cinematics have put out a few albums before this, so I'm not sure how their sound has evolved over time. Wikipedia, in this article, cites their influences as The Clash and the Talking Heads. Maybe every band cites The Clash as an influence, because I certainly didn't hear it on this album.

Anyway, I heartily endorse A strange education.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is The Cinematics first album.