Thursday, August 16, 2007

Christine Daniels

Christine Daniels writes a blog for the L.A. Times.

I didn't know about her blog until this morning when I stumbled upon it from another site.

I read Daniels' blog and enjoyed the diversity in subject matter, her writing style, and the care with which it was written.

What makes Daniels' blog even cooler is that Daniels used to be Mike Penner.

In this article written in April, Penner discusses his feelings on "coming out" as a transgendered sportswriter and how his friends and colleagues reacted to him.

In a profession where gender is sometimes a big deal, I can't imagine struggling with your identity and then choosing to live your truth.

If I was going to put it in such strong of terms, I might say that Christine Daniels is my hero. I'm sure she hears that every day, though, so I won't.

I will say, though, that it gives me courage to see a person living her truth and a profession willing to accept her.

No comments: