Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Kanye West makes me giggle sometimes

Kanye West has this ridiculous ability to appeal to a mainstream audience. I saw him open for U2, and there's nothing more entertaining than a bunch of upper middle class white folks screaming "We want prenup!"

The best part is that he can do this while not losing any of his hip hop street cred. Have you heard the Diamonds from Sierra Leone remix with Jay-Z? That stuff makes me tear up almost every time, it's so good.

To promote the first single from his new album, Can't tell me nothin', West put out a video that features comedian Zach Galifianakis lip synching the words to West's song. It's brilliant and I'm sure it introduced a generation of hipper-than-thou folks to West's music.

Anyway, CNN.com has an articlethat quotes West as saying that he has never cared about being No. 1. The CNN piece quotes heavily from an interview West did with XXL Magazine (as an aside, can you imagine CNN.com staffers paging through XXL to write this story?) and, in the interview, West talks about how he doesn't rap about guns or drugs.

My favorite line?

"Further, 'there's nothing about wearing a pink Polo that would make anyone believe that I would hold a gun,' he says."

Brilliant.

No comments: