Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Deryck Whibley is wrong, wrong, wrong

I don't know if Rolling Stone does this in their print magazine (since I don't read Rolling Stone), but Rolling Stone's website does this feature called "My List." I get the Rolling Stone features through RSS, and sometimes the "My List" features appeal to me, and sometimes they don't. Basically, an artist makes a list of songs they like. Maybe it's themed and maybe it's their favorite songs ever.

Deryck Whibley of Sum 41 fame did a "My List" recently.

Whibley had three obvious picks: Elvis Costello's Radio, Radio, The Clash's Clash City Rockers, and Iggy Pop's The Passenger. After all, how do you become a pop punk band with a disdain for corporate radio without those three?

I was shocked to see that he digs Oasis' Live Forever. I love Oasis, and that isn't my favorite of their tracks, but it does okay. It seems way too earnest for a pop punk frontman, though, and I am suspicious.

But Deryck Whibley is wrong, wrong, wrong when he prefers Boys Don't Cry by The Cure to their later stuff. Whibley says "It's way cooler than their bigger later songs."

Seriously, dude?

How can you say that Boys Don't Cry is better than Pictures of You? or Just Like Heaven? or Friday I'm in Love? or, heaven forbid, Mint Car.

I get his general principle here, which is that band's are "better" before they get big and "sell out" and, sometimes, I share it.

And I do love that song.

But I cannot go down this road with you, Deryck Whibley. You are wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

1 comment:

Liz said...

You are funny, funny, funny. I'm torn on older vs. newer Cure stuff. I love it all, but if pressed, I'll admit that I slightly prefer the older stuff. 10:15 is my all time favorite , though I heard Letters From Elise on the radio today and forgot how much I like that song. Better? I'm not sure, but better for me? Definitely.