Sunday, May 6, 2007

Why Mrs. Dude was painfully wrong about Arctic Monkeys

I have trouble liking critics darlings sometimes. When the Arctic Monkeys disc "Whatever people say I am, that's what I'm not" came out, I didn't like it very much. I liked the single "I bet you look good on the dance floor," sure, but I didn't dig the album very much. I felt like the energy didn't hold up over the duration of the album and I got bored fairly quickly. So, I wrote off Arctic Monkeys as just another critics darling.

When "Favourite Worst Nightmare" came out, The Dude bought it. It made it's way onto Black Frances and, eventually, I found myself face-to-face with this disc.

About two tracks in, I knew I was in trouble.

See, this album was everything I didn't think the previous one was. The lyrics were fantastic and the music was the right mix of rock and pop. I wasn't the least bit bored with it, and found that the end came way too quickly. What I loved most about this disc was that they were able to keep up the energy over 12 songs. Sometimes, pop-punky bands have a problem keeping that energy going and one or two tracks end up being throw-away tracks. Not on this disc.

So, I must say that I was wrong about Arctic Monkeys.

No comments: