Sunday, May 6, 2007

Hot stuff by Carly Phillips

There's this bookstore near my house. Most of what it sells is mass-market paperbacks. Yes, there are a few hardcovers and a few nicer paperbacks. But mostly, the shelves are full of mass-market paperbacks. Most of these paperbacks are romance novels. What I have learned about romance novels is that they are fun and easy to read. I sometimes feel a sense of shame that I enjoy romance novels so much. I know, as a librarian, that this is stupid; people should read what makes them happy. I like reading books with happy endings. And nothing gives you a happy ending like a romance novel.

I picked up the title "Hot stuff" in this bookstore. It is the first title in the "Hot Zone" series. I hadn't ever read anything by Carly Phillips, so this was uncharted territory for me.

Hot stuff centers around the eldest of three sisters who were orphaned when their parents died and who were sent to live with their Uncle Yank. Yank Morgan owns and operates a PR firm that specializes in athletes and his three nieces joined the family business after finishing their education.

In this title, Annabelle is paired with former pro-football player Brandon Vaughn. Vaughn was a former client of Yank's until his money-grubbing ex-wife chose a different PR firm for Vaughn while he was recovering from surgery and loopy on meds.

Vaughn comes crawling back to Hot Zone (and Yank) with his tail between his legs needing their services. See, he's trying to build a lodge in his hometown. He wants to build a resort for the wealthy and he wants to use the profits to fund his real dream--a camp for kids with learning disabilities. The problem is that someone doesn't want Vaughn to succeed.

Lovesick Annabelle is the victim of some not-so-subtle matchmaking from her family and reluctantly takes the assignment to work with Vaughn. Hilarity and romance ensues . And, at the end of the story, everyone gets to live happily ever after.

I enjoyed this title. It was fairly well written and had just enough intrigue to get me through the graphic sex scenes. Now, I don't consider myself a prude, but I did find myself blushing a little when Phillips talked about various characters and their sexual activities.

Overall, though, it was a fun and fluffy read.

No comments: