Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Wednesday's music recap

Today I listened to:

(What's the story) Morning glory? by Oasis
Feels like home by Norah Jones
We were dead before the ship even sank by Modest Mouse
Haughty melodic by Mike Doughty

Three observations:
1.Oasis can write a catchy pop song like nobody's business. There are some great tunes on ...Morning glory?

2. I'd never listened to Feels like home before today. Nora's previous album Come away with me, in my opinion, was a nearly perfect jazz/pop album. You can understand, then, why I was nervous to listen to the follow-up album. It was pretty good. Not as great as the previous one, but not terrible. I was shocked when I heard Dolly Parton's voice on the track "Creepin' in" but I think it was my favorite song on the album. I got bored near the end, though, which is the kiss of death for an album (in my opinion). If you can't produce 13 compelling tracks, cut down the number of tracks on the album, I say. If I get to track 9 or 10 and I'm bored, woe be unto you.

3. Mike Doughty writes ridiculously good songs. I want to write, produce, and direct a movie so that he can write the soundtrack.

No comments: