Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Spiderman 2, or, Why Mrs. Dude should learn to suspend her disbelief

It is rare that The Dude and I actually make time to see a movie. We always say, 'we should go see that,' but usually we forget about it and, six months later, we see it at Blockbuster. When we went to see the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie, we saw a preview for Spiderman 3. Despite all of the estrogen in my body, I have a soft spot for movies where 'shit blows up' as The Dude likes to put it. So, we made plans to see Spiderman 3 upon its release. The only problem is that we'd never seen Spiderman 2. So, The Dude procured it from Blockbuster, it sat on our TV for two weeks, he took it back and rented it again (along with Die Hard).

Last night we watched it.

Why does Kirsten Dunst always look like her dog died? I mean, I get that Mary-Jane is supposed to have the weight of the world on her shoulders and all that, but still...it doesn't show a good range of acting.

Overall, I liked it. I'm not very good at suspending my disbelief, though, so there were some parts that I ended up not liking very much. Basically, I didn't like the inconsistency in the MJ-Peter Parker friendship. She kept talking about how they'd always been friends, but in the beginning of the first Spiderman movie, she barely knew his name.

The special effects were good, but not great. The mark of a good computer-based special effect, for me, is that you can't immediately say 'gee, that was obviously done with a Green Screen.' I have low standards--I know this.

Toby Maguire did right by Peter Parker, I thought. He expressed Parker's confusion, sadness, and determination honestly and with integrity. I should say that I have loved Maguire for quite a while, so seeing him get lots of screen time (some of it with his shirt off) is so exciting to me.

The Dude noticed the dearth of screaming women. He's right--there were a lot of screaming women.

And Kirsten Dunst's nipples made a cameo.

Overall, I enjoyed Spiderman 2. Tonight we're going to see Spiderman 3. It seems like a lot of Spiderman, but I'm game...

No comments: