Friday, May 11, 2007

Friday's music recap

I attended the viewing of a webinar in the middle of the day about the relevancy of libraries in a digital age, so I didn't get much album-listening done today.

Today I listened to:
1. A beautiful lie by 30 seconds to Mars
2. Knuckle down by Ani Difranco
3. Maybe you should drive by BNL

For me, what's interesting about Difranco is that, as she's aged, she's become easier to listen to. She's clearly still politically-minded and she still does the spoken-word thing, so she's still authentic. But, to me, she's not as raw and a smidge more polished. I'm guessing that it turns a lot of people off, though, which is sad. Because she's still lyrically sharp.

BNL (Barenaked Ladies) is always lyrically nimble, but I love the understated-ness of Maybe you should drive. I think it might be my favorite BNL album, actually. Maybe you should drive has an undercurrent of sadness or, more accurately, of melancholy. Unlike Barenaked Ladies Are Me, though, they don't beat you over the head with it. It's always there, that twinge of regret, even on the upbeat-verging-on-bouncy track "A." Sometimes, though (like with You will be waiting), it's right in front of your face, clouding your vising like glasses with an outdated prescription.

Enjoy your weekend, y'all.

No comments: