Wednesday, October 10, 2007

My big brother was Big's brother

The song "Big Brother" on Kanye West's album, Graduation, makes me tear up almost every time I hear it.

Stupid, right?

For a guy who spends so much time spewing the "I-did-it-myself-aren't-I-special" line, it's a crazy humble song about having somebody be your idol and mentor and how competition makes you do them dirty.

I'm not saying that West doesn't have the right to be arrogant. He's really talented and makes a lot of great music. But he's right when he says that on the Diamonds remix (Diamonds from Sierra Leone) that Jay-Z blew him away lyrically. Kanye West may sell more albums, but Jay-Z will always be the teacher and West will always be the student. And no amount of dirty doings is going to change that.

And maybe remembering where you came from isn't such a bad thing.

No comments: