Monday, October 29, 2007

Might as well join the mob...the benefits are okay

Something I saw online jogged my memory about the band Soul Asylum, so I checked my handy dandy iPod, Black Frances, and saw that I do have a Soul Asylum album.

Well, it's The Dude's, but during the Great Music Combining of Aught Whatever his music became mine and mine became his (for better and worse. As an aside...for two music junkies, combining music collections is the biggest test of a relationship).

I was listening to Grave Dancer's Union and I was reminded that Soul Asylum used to be good. I say "used to" because last year they came out of oblivion to put out this craptastic single before returning back to irrelevancy (holy cow! irrelevancy is a word! who knew?).

Grave Dancer's Union is a fabulous little gem, full of great songs. And it has my favorite Soul Asylum ever, "Without a trace." Yeah, it has "Runaway Train" on it which ended up getting overplayed until it was a lifeless shell of a decent song. But overall, it's a great disc.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Without a Trace freaking RULES. I knew we were together for a reason.

Sometime to Return is also a really killer song; I think it's from the album before.

-M, who saw Soul Asylum open for Keith Richards in 1993. Yep, I'm still old.