Thursday, September 20, 2007

Things I didn't like at all and urge you to avoid at all costs: Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld

About two years ago, I read the book I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe.

It was awful.

I knew it was going to be awful when I started it, based on all of the terrible reviews it got.

I read it anyway.

It was amazing how terribly wrong an 80-something year old man got the college experiences of a teenage girl.

I chalked Wolfe's inability to encapsulate the "college girl" experience to the fact that it was too far out of his realm of experience.

You'd think, then, that Curtis Sittenfeld, a twenty-something year old woman, could do a better job of relating to a teenage girl's prep school experience.

You'd be wrong, though. Really, really wrong.

Prep tells Lee Fiora's prep school experience, giving us 4 years in 403 pages.

Lee, the child of middle class working people, has a hard time fitting in at a school where most of the students are the children of wealth and privilege.

Well, duh.

It's hard to tell, though, if Lee has a hard time fitting in because she's "poor" or because she's so unbelievably self-conscious and socially stunted.

In the end, I'm not sure it matters.

Throw in a couple of storylines that don't make any sense and you've got a recipe for disaster.

I didn't like anyone in this book, not even Lee's likable friend Martha.

It took me about a week to read this book and I want all of that time back.

Ah well, I'd probably just waste it anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I keep hearing reviews along these lines, and yet I sort of want to try it anyway... maybe it's an "Oooh, look! A train wreck!" sort of thing. Hmph.

I was going to tell you about my favorite prep school book but now I can't remember the title OR the author. Hah. Oh, here we go: Black Mirror by Nancy Werlin.