Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Drum Corps International: Marching Music's Major League

A hearty huzzah goes out to The Concord Blue Devils. Their "A" corps won the Gold Medal for DCI's world championships back on August 11th at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

I am late in extending my congratulations, frankly, because I had no idea. I saw it tonight on ESPN2.

If you're not familiar with drum and bugle corps you should try to catch the DCI World Championships if they play again on ESPN.

I saw the Blue Devils' performance and it brought tears to my eyes. It was amazingly executed and almost flawless.

I am happy to give credit where credit is due, even if I'm a Cavaliers girl at heart.

Drum and bugle corps is an amazing thing to see. It's the percussion and brass sections of a marching band coupled with the color guard. These kids, between the ages of 17 and about 22 or 23 give up their entire summer to travel with a corps. They practice together, eat together, travel together, sleep on gym floors and on buses, and perform on football fields across America.

And they do all of this for the love of music and performance.

Oh yeah, and they audition and pay for the privilege of doing all of this.

The best of the best get invited to DCI to perform for a crowd of thousands for a gold medal.

And even on television, the excitement, the heart, the soul, the drive are all evident.

I never did drum and bugle corps, but my cousin did. He was a member of The Cavaliers Drum and Bugle Corps. For five summers my family drove to high schools in the tri-state area to see him perform. We even went to DCI for his age-out year performance which, by the way, was a DCI-winning performance.

There's nothing like it in the world. So huzzah to the Concord Blue Devils. You certainly earned that Gold Metal.

No comments: