Sunday, February 25, 2007

Right back 'atcha!

The Spares came to town this weekend and played a show at Off Broadway. Y'all remember me telling you how great they are, right? And you all went to their website (www.thespares.net) or to iTunes and bought their newest album, right?

Anyway, I got a shoutout at the show. I was "the mysterious Mrs. Dude."

Their set was fantastic. They peppered their set with songs from both Beautiful and Treacherous Thing and Hand Me Down. And, I believe, they threw a little Johnny Cash in too. You know, for good measure. Because if there's one thing we all know, it's that you can't have too much Johnny Cash. The vocals, both Jodee's and Steve's, were spot on. And man...that mandolin? Wicked awesome.

It was fun to see them play in a setting other than Church. They have a great stage presence and playing a concert allowed them to interact with the crowd in a way that they can't in a church setting. And, as much as I love to hear them play hymns (and I do), playing in a smoky bar allows them to be freer with their vocals and their playing.

Today, The Spares played at Church. And, like last time, they were awesome. As an added bonus, they played two songs from Beautiful and Treacherous Thing.

I went up to Steve after they played and introduced myself as Mrs. Dude. We chatted for a few minutes and I was left with the feeling that not only are The Spares an amazingly talented band but that they are really nice, too.

So, I'm giving them a shoutout back! Hooray, The Spares!

No comments: