Sunday, February 25, 2007

New iTunes purchases (2/25)

What I bought:
1. Tokyo Police Club's A lesson in crime. It was $5.99, and I liked the free samples I heard. They remind me a lot of Artic Monkeys and Franz Ferdinand. I'm not sure if this is a good thing.

2. All time low's Put up or shut up. It was $4.99, and I am a sucker for pop punk. They remind me of the Ataris. I loved So long Astoria. Yes, I'm putting that in writing. Shut up, you. What? You think you're better than me because you have disdain for pop punk. You're probably right...

3. Erin McKeown's We will become like birds. It was the priciest of my purchases. I hadn't ever heard of McKeown until Entertainment Weekly did a review of her newest album Sing you sinners. I did listen to that one, but decided on the earlier album. Her voice is mezmerizing, and I was curious to hear her sing her own songs as opposed to standards. She reminds me of Nelly McKay, but without the whimsical randomness.


What I listened to but didn't buy:
1. Bloc Party's Silent alarm. The free samples were okay. As a rule, though, I don't usually buy albums by Critics' Darlings. And, if I remember correctly, people wet their pants over Bloc Party.

2. Kate Havnevik's Melankton. If Bjork and Sinead O'Connor got drunk and made a baby, this is what the baby would sound like when she got old enough to get a recording contract and make an album.

3. Young Love's Too young to fight it. It's incredibly pop-y. And produced by Def Jam. So I thought 'hey, I bet I would like this.' And when I listened to it, I was so very confused.

4. The Shins' Wincing the night away. Remember when I told you that I don't buy albums by Critics' Darlings? Well, The Shins fit that bill. Every critic and his dog has said how awesome The Shins are. And, not to knock people who like them, but I don't get it. They're okay, but they sound like a lot like Death Cab for Cutie. And, Death Cab for Cutie does precious emo rock much better than they do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We own Silent Alarm, so it's good that you didn't buy it. It's really good.

Haven't heard their new one, though.

-M.