Friday, July 23, 2010

Be the change you want to see

Being a teenager sucks. A lot. I am not so far removed from my teenage years that I have magically forgotten how hard it was to be me as a teenager.

The thing I remember most vividly about my teenage experience was that I was sure that I was the only person feeling how I felt. I was sure that my classmates had it together and that I was the only one falling apart on the inside. I assumed that my pain was different, was special.

When I heard the premise of MTV's new series, If you really knew me, it is being kind to say that I was skeptical.

BTW--If you want a cool recap/review of If you really knew me, I recommend KBestOliver's review at Mamapop. She put it better than I ever could.

MTV is known for shows that exploit the pain of teenagers(16 and Prenant, anyone?) or glorify bratty teenagers' love for excess (I'm looking at you, My Super Sweet 16). So why would a show that chronicles the experiences of teenagers as they go through Challenge Day be any less exploitative?

The thing is, MTV found a way to melt my icy, jaded heart with this show and I think it has more to do with the awesomeness that is "Challenge Day" than in MTV's careful treatment of the experience of Challenge Day participants.

The Challenge Day experience speaks to me for three reasons:
1. It gives students permission to stop feeling shame. The students do an exercise called 'If you really knew me' where they get to tell the people in their group what it's like to be them. It doesn't really matter what you're going through or how your pain compares to the person sitting next to you. The exercise gives students the chance to speak their truths. And naming your pain is the first step to turning off the shame that resonates inside of you.

2. It teaches students that they are not the only ones experiencing the things they're going through. The students do an exercise called 'Crossing the line' where the Challenge Day facilitator reads a series of statements and students are asked to cross the line that is taped to the floor if that statement applies to them. Crossing the line shows students that there are people in their school who face the same demons that they do. And those who don't cross the line are encouraged to flash the sign for 'love' to show support for those whose situations they do not face.

3. It asks students to become the change they want to see in the world. In the first episode, Challenge Day ends with the facilitators asking students what they will do to change their school. Challenge Day assumes that each student has within them the power to affect change and asks students to take responsibility for that power.

I would be lying if I said that this show didn't affect me. And honestly, I don't know how the teenage version of me would've reacted to seeing this show. It certainly appeals to the 31-year-old version of me that passionately believe in Becoming the Change you want to see in this world.

This show filled me with so much love, so much hope, that I forgot it was an MTV joint. Well played, MTV.

What did you think? Did you love it? Hate it?

2 comments:

Library Belle said...

I just watched it, and was also touched by it. Point #1 that you made really resonated with me.

I'm not sure how I would have reacted as a teenager, except maybe to wish something like that would happen at my school.

Maja said...

well written!