Saturday, May 24, 2008

WOXY's Modern Rock 500

I am kind of in love with WOXY. The few times that The Dude and I made our way into Ohio, we longed to get into range of WOXY because it reminded us (well, him really....) of the days when college rock radio stations ruled the world.

WOXY used to be a radio station in Cincinnati. Well, it still is if you have HD Radio.

Mostly, though, it has reinvented itself as a web-based radio station that plays modern rock with the kind of panache and flair you don't see these days in most terrestrial-based radio stations. Music like the kind that WOXY plays is usually reserved for satellite radio.

You can get WOXY in the "radio" portion of iTunes. It's listed under the "alternative" stations, I think.

Anyway, WOXY is having a Modern Rock 500 this weekend to coincide with the running of the Indy 500.

As an aside...I'm from Indianapolis and I've never been to the Indy 500. We used to kind of hide out until it was over since the town is kind of over-run with over-zealous racing fans.

If you consider yourself a fan of modern rock, you should try to catch some of WOXY's Modern Rock 500. It's awesome to hear a song and go 'oh! yeah! I remember that!'

So far I've done that with Big Country, Tom's Diner, and a ton more. Right now? Portishead.

So yeah, check it out.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAHA I'm glad to see this asshat still has the phrase HD Radio on google alert! What a loser.

ANYWAY, thanks for the MR500 plug. Glad you're enjoying it this weekend. I still enjoy listening to it every year even though I help to put it together. It takes me back to my many years of being a listener (and recording the top 100 or so on cassette each year so I could have all my favorite songs)!

cheers, Shiv

Anonymous said...

@Shiv:

Actually, I tried Google Alerts but it was bring up too much useless garbage, so I just scan Google Blogs and Google News a few times a day. BTW - I now have over 3,000 links to my blog posted on the Web:

http://tinyurl.com/4ome62

For those few searching for HD Radio:

http://tinyurl.com/2e2lwk

They will see hdradiofarce.blogspot.com right up there with hdradio.com an ibiquity.com:

http://tinyurl.com/3usdlp

I hope that this doesn't put you into a rage. BTW - what is an "asshat"?

Erin said...

I don't listen to terrestrial radio. I have a subscription to a satellite radio service and I listen to radio online. So I could care less about how legitimate HD radio is.

Please stop putting links to your HD Radio-related blogs in the comments section of my blog.

Thanks! :)