Monday, February 11, 2008

Love is mix tape by Rob Sheffield

I've seen Rob Sheffield on many of those VH1 shows where they count down the top 100 or 50 of some genre of song. My favorite of those, of course, is the Top Soft Rock songs. But I digress...

Sheffield wrote and amazing book called Love is a mix tape: life and loss, one song at a time. It's this book about about falling in love and learning to lose love the most graceful way one can. It's about music and how music colors memories. It's about mix tapes and the 90s. Mostly, it's achingly perfect in tone and in execution.

It reminded me of Nick Hornby's High Fidelty for all of the right reasons. I fell in love with Renee and Rob and their relationship in much the same way that I fell in love with Hornby's Rob. And when I finished reading Sheffield's book, I handed it to my husband. I can only hope he enjoys it as much as I did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so i stumbled onto your blog from obviously your not a golfer. I picked up love is a mixtape based solely on your blog. I think what convinced me was the high fidelity reference. I love that book, maybe because my name is Rob too, I don't know. Anyway, I read love is a mixtape over the past couple of days, and it was amazing. so to get to the point, thanks for talking about the book. It made for a couple of entertaining train rides home from work.