Monday, February 25, 2008

August and Everything After by Counting Crows

I think that Adam Duritz is a supremely talented lyricist. The Dude loves Elvis Costello with an unseemly passion. He says that Costello is a ridiculously talented lyricist. I feel the same way about Duritz. He can turn a phrase like nobody's business. And even though he writes about the same themes over and over and over again, he always finds a new way to present them so that you don't feel like you've heard it all before.

August and Everything After, released in 1993, was Counting Crows major label debut. It has a more "alt country" feel than any of their other albums, I always think, with songs like "Rain King" featuring a more jangly guitar sound.

Though it's not my favorite album in their catalog, it does have a lot of solid songs, showing both the band's technical proficiency and Duritz's song writing capabilities. And with songs that hold up over 15 years, it hasn't come and gone like many other bands' first albums.

1 comment:

alissa said...

I agree! I saw them live on the Hard Candy tour and it was amazing. Although, my favorite song from that particular concert/album is a cover since I adore his version of Big Yellow taxi