Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The one where Mrs. Dude blogs about her "real life"

I realize that it's probably poor form to blog about therapy.

In the course of conversation, my therapist and I agreed that I have a hard time differentiating between choosing to take something on because it's what I want to do and when I take something on to be accepted.

2010 has been a year filled with really amazing highs and really crappy lows. I have been blessed, both personally and professionally, to have lots of awesome opportunities. Among other things, starting in January I'm spending six months in a leadership program put on by the American Library Association.

It seems to me that there are two problems with not being clear on why I choose to add things to my life:
1. I have a lot of things going on--some that I care deeply about and some that I don't. And it's hard to know which is which.
2. I end up not being able to give anything my full attention because I'm so busy doing everything. Doing everything half-assed is not as good as doing some things with my whole ass.

I have a sense of the things that drive me, give me personal satisfaction, and (to be cheesy) nurture me:
--creating: writing, crafting, cooking
--absorbing: reading, watching movies, listening to music
--learning: service to others, professional development, taking classes

I want 2011 to be about personal transformation. I want it to be about becoming clear on what's important to me and learning to say no to the things that I'm not passionate about.

Change is hard. Inertia is easy. But if you're not 100% happy with who you are and 100% satisfied with the life you lead, change is the only answer.

Look for more writing here in the coming year, both review-related and otherwise. And look forward to journeying with me and holding me accountable.

Question: What do you want 2011 to "be about" for you?

3 comments:

Goddess Librarian said...

I think that's an important--and hard--distinction to make. There are also times when you are truly passionate about something, but should still say no because, like you said, you've just got too much going on.

Also--I love the way you put it--doing things with your whole ass instead of half-assed.

Amy said...

You know I've got your back, and I'm hoping that if I embark on a similar journey in 2011, we'll be a good support for one another. :)

music and move said...

You know I've got your back, and I'm hoping that if I embark on a similar journey in 2011, we'll be a good support for one another. :)Also--I love the way you put it--doing things with your whole ass instead of half-assed.
Entertainment