Monday, October 19, 2009

Mike Doughty at the Duck Room

This is a 'things I love' blog. As such, I don't spend much time dwelling on things that suck. It's just more fun for me, the author, to write about those things that are awesome. And the more fun it is for me to write, the more fun it is for you to read.

That having been said, I have to start out this review by saying that this concert "experience" was the worst I've ever had. There were these guys standing behind me that would. not. shut. up. Seriously...for the entire show, they were either talking really loudly or singing really loudly. And no amount of looks or subtle 'hey...do you mind?' comments would shut them up. They were hell bent on being "those guys" at this show. They were clearly fans of Doughty because they knew all the words to all the songs. Doughty himself even had to ask the audience to 'take it down a level' not once but twice.

The best part of the evening was when the lady next to me lost her shit and yelled at Doughty.

The exchange went something like this:
Lady: Do you ever go to someone's job and take the broom out of their hands?
Doughty: Huh?
Lady (slower): Do you ever go to someone's job and take the broom out of their hands?
Doughty: Uh...no?
Lady: Those guys (pointing behind her) are stealing your broom, Dude.

The guys didn't get booted, but at least her public shaming shut them up for five seconds. I would love to buy this lady a beer. Do you know her?

That having been said, the show was pretty awesome. I think the venue wasn't quite right, but Mike Doughty and Scrap were awesome. It was a "Question Jar" show, which meant that Doughty played acoustic guitar and his only accompaniment was Andrew 'Scrap' Livingston on the cello or bass guitar. It also means that the audience got to submit questions which Doughty and Scrap answered during the course of the evening.

Turns out that Doughty won't play at your wedding, loves cherry sno cones, would go to the 1982 Knoxville World's Fair in a Time Machine, loves Steinbeck, and only sometimes misses the drugs. Also, he's still f***ing that chicken.

The limitations of playing an acoustic set meant that Doughty had to make careful choices about which songs he could tackle. Some of his catalog just doesn't stand up to that kind of limitation. But he did pull out a couple of surprises--top among them was Saint Louise is Listening. He also played a lot of songs you'd expect him to play in a setting like that--Janine, Unsingable name, Madeline and Nine, I Hear the Bells. He pimped the new album, playing about half of it. Standouts included (He's got the) Whole World (in His hands) and (You should be) Doubly (Gratified).

Staying true to his roots, his "fake last song" before the encore was from his Soul Coughing days--Soft Serve--and was, for my money, the highlight of the evening.

I was worried about the Question Jar element of the evening. Stage banter is good, but only if the person doing it is witty enough to make you care. Good singers, it is my experience, aren't always great at banter. It was nice, though, the way that Scrap and Doughty managed to interact and answer questions thoughtfully.

I think the Duck Room wasn't a great venue for this show. I'd never been there before but some frustrated post-show tweets lead me to believe that it isn't a good venue for bands who want the quiet, intimate show that a space that small has the potential to provide. I'm not sure, though, what would've been better. Off Broadway, perhaps? The only thing I know for sure is that I will probably not go back to the Duck Room any time soon.

Overall, a good show. Not a great show, but that was more to do with the venue and the concert goers than the performer.

5 comments:

Battra13 said...

I don't know who Mike Doughty is,but from your tweets last night, I had to read this review.

Great read.

clr said...

the venue doesn't matter. I was at the Metropolitan Museum of Art to see Patti Smith do a reading/tribute on Saturday and people were talking.

Bruce Springsteen plays "Meeting Across The River," which is very rare, or rare enough, and these two Italian guys who flew in for the shows could not shut up. You flew. Thousands of miles. You purport to be a huge fan. And yet, you talk? during THIS SONG?

I've asked people to be quiet - just please for one song? - and they glare at me like it's a massive imposition. Shouldn't it be THE OTHER WAY AROUND?

I think the absolute worst was when I went with a friend to see Nancy Wilson play solo acoustic. It was heavily rumored that her sister was going to show up, and she did. At the time, this was a very rare occurrence.

My friend was ecstatic - she loved Heart growing up, she was on the mailing list, etc. - this was a big deal - hell I would have thought it was a big deal to any fan of rock and roll.

But there was a woman behind us. Who kept talking. And talking. And talking. Loudly.

I was about to turn around and say something - so my friend could enjoy the show - when she stopped me and said, "Oh, don't do that, that's the woman who runs the Heart mailing list, she'll give me hell tomorrow."

YOU RUN A MAILING LIST FOR THE ARTIST AND YOU'RE GOING TO TALK THROUGH THEIR SHOW?

Sorry, I have a headache now.

Unknown said...

I do agree with your assessment of the Duck Room. I've seen many a show there (mostly Brave Combo) and it's small, cramped, hot (air circulation please?!), and the acoustics kinda suck. It could be so much more, but it's just not.

As for talkers...OMG I'd totally go in with you and buy that lady a beer. There is nothing more annoying than people ruining your experience because they are self-centered oblivious (often with an entitlement complex) a**hats.

Amy said...

Just out of curiosity, did he do Book of Love? LOVE that song!!! Still bummed I missed it, but not bummed I didn't miss the idiots =(

Vero said...

know who mike de leer una revision de revistas.