Tuesday, January 16, 2007

The Spares

I attend a Methodist Church that is so new that the New Church Smell hasn't worn off yet.

This week, we had the musical group The Spares as part of our Sunday Worship service. They were so amazing that I bought both of their CDs. Well, Mrs. Dude's dad did. But you get the idea.

Anyway, you should find out about The Spares.

They're not exclusively a Christian band, though some of their songs do have a Christian theme. They're indie acoustic rock. Alt-country rock. Roots rock. Americana rock.

Jodee Lewis has the most amazing voice. Her vocals are tough and tender. Vulnerable and fierce. I don't normally like female singers, but I love her voice.

I feel like I could listen to their discs, Beautiful and Treacherous Thing and Hand Me Down, a hundred times and never fully understand their rich complexity.

If indie, acoustic, alt-country, roots, Americana rock is your thing...check them out.

Even if it's not, give them a chance.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks - they're a bit Alison Krauss, who we're both fans of. I suspect we'll do some downloading.

You might like one of my favorite bands "The Gathering Field." Not truly together anymore, but a similar feel in the 'not always religious' but still Christian folk/americana music. http://www.gatheringfield.com/soundsTBL.htm