Thursday, January 4, 2007

Mike Doughty and Steve Poltz

The Dude introduced me to Mike Doughty. Not the man, though it would be awesome if he knew him.

Anyway...I'd never listened to Soul Coughing beyond their radio hits. But after The Dude put "Soft Serve" on a mix CD for me, I stole his copy of Irresistible Bliss. He had to marry me to get it back.

Anyway, a couple of summers ago, The Dude told me about Mike Doughty's album Haughty Melodic. I listened to it, but didn't pay it much mind. Suddenly, though, late this summer it became one of my five favorite albums.

An ex-boyfriend introduced me to Steve Poltz. I had never even heard of his band The Rugburns, but we saw Poltz at a festival and again that weekend at The Bluebird Cafe. We saw Poltz another time. All three were great shows. The ex didn't stick, but I still love Steve Poltz.

I realized that I think that Mike Doughty and Steve Poltz have a similar feel. They both enjoy wordplay and have some of the best lyrics I've ever heard. Both have a stripped down sound. Both have interesting vocal stuff going on.

I'm listening, right now, to Poltz's Chinese Vacation. I hadn't put the two of them together until just now, and I'm not certain why.

No comments: