Friday, February 4, 2011

Book news a-go-go

Two book-related things worth mentioning:

First:
Do you own an ereader? I do. The Dude cashed in a bunch of AmEx points to buy me a Nook in a a Gift of the Magi-esque turn of events for which I am forever grateful to him.

I spent a lot of time considering what kind of e-reader I wanted. I rarely buy books anymore since I can get most of what I want to read through MPOW. I sometimes have to wait to read a just-released book, but there are very few books for which this is a deal breaker. So when I was thinking about buying an e-reader, I knew that I would want to have one that was compatible with Overdrive books which do DRM management through Adobe Editions.

This blog post at ProfHacker caught my attention because it talks about Calibre, a piece of software which allows you to convert ebooks from their native format to whatever format your e-reader requires. As long as the title in question passes the DRM sniff-test, you're good to go.

Second:
NPR Books is doing a virtual books club with Unbroken, Laura 'Seabiscuit' Hillenbrand's new book that they're calling a "a book-club-meets-social-media experiment."

Virtual book clubs aren't new--the Onion AV Club does a really cool one. What sets this apart, though, is that the author is involved with this one. Hillenbrand is doing interviews, Q&As, and a live chat through the course of the month.

If you're interested in jumping into the chatter, you can get all the details here. This post gives you everything you need to get started and directs you to the NPR Books' Facebook page and Twitter hashtag so you can start chatting.

I'm going to pick up Hillenbrand's book today so that I can be part of the awesomeness.

1 comment:

Vero said...

yo le entendi. En primer lugar:
¿Tienes un ereader? Sí. The Dude cobrado en un montón de puntos de AmEx me compres un rincón un regalo de los Reyes Magos-esque gire de eventos para los que siempre estoy agradecido a él.


Pasé mucho tiempo teniendo en cuenta qué tipo de e-reader quería. Rara vez compro libros ya ya puedo conseguir más de lo que quiero leer a través de MPOW. A veces tengo que esperar a leer un libro recién publicado, pero hay muy pocos libros para que un acuerdo es breaker. Así que cuando estaba pensando en comprar un e-reader, sabía que me gustaría tener uno que era compatible con libros de Overdrive que hacen gestión DRM a través de las ediciones de Adobe.