Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Slanted and Enchanted by Pavement

I've only known the band Pavement from their single "Cut your hair." Well, that and the cover they did of "No more kings" on the album School House Rock Rocks!. So when the iTunes store had Pavement's first album, Slanted and Enchanted, on sale I was kind of sad. I wanted the one with "Cut your hair" on it!

But, I knew that there was a Pavement void in my album collection that needed to be filled, so I went ahead and bought Slanted and Enchanted.

I've been listening to it pretty much non-stop for almost a week, it's that good.

According to the Wikipedia entry for the album, Slanted and Enchanted was pretty influential in the 1990s rock scene. I can see how this is true and realize, in retrospect that, as a self-proclaimed flannel-head, it isn't an album I can afford to be without.

Slanted and Enchanted is full of witty lyrics, crunchy guitars, and a lo-fi sound that makes it charming. It is everything that slacker rock was supposed to be and it's done really, really well.

In my opinion, a good album should be so tightly put together that you feel like it's effortless even though you know that it took a lot of work to make it happen. As a listener, though, you shouldn't be able to see the cracks. This album is like that and, thus, I recommend it.

No comments: