Monday, April 2, 2007

A beautiful lie by 30 second to mars

Dear Jared Leto,
When I was in high school and you were Jordan Catalano, I had the biggest crush on you. Okay, not on you exactly. I wanted a boyfriend just like Jordan. In retrospect this seems really dumb. While Jordan was a bad boy with a heart of gold buried somewhere deep down, he wasn't exactly good for Angela. And, in the end, I married a man more like Brian than like Jordan.

Anyway, when I heard you'd started a band, I didn't really pay too much attention to it. I knew you could sing--I'd heard it on My So-Called Life. But could you really front a band? And, if you could, would it be any good?

I didn't think about again until the single "The Kill" became big on the radio. I couldn't get it out of my head. It's dark and catchy at the same time. It's musical complexity is outshone only by it's angst. That, Mr. Leto, takes talent.

I ended up picking up a copy of the disc that the aforementioned single is from and was pleasantly surprised to realize that it doesn't suck. Although it's heavy and atmospheric, I don't get bored by the end of the album. This is quite the accomplishment because, though I enjoy bands like yours, I often grow tired of them.

Well done, Mr. Leto. Well done.

And, if it matters, I still have a crush on Jordan.

Sincerely,
Mrs. Dude

No comments: